Mailbag 8 June 2021
Mailbag 8 June 2021
Welcome back to Term 6 and I hope you all had a lovely break. The weather certainly helped!
As you will see below, Bristol Schools have received updated guidance on testing and COVID precautions from BCC Public Health for you and your families. We know that the new requirements are rigorous and we hope they will be short term. Sadly, faced with a much more infectious variant, we cannot afford to drop our guard yet.
All staff in school are being encouraged to continue twice weekly LFD testing. As we are a local authority school we have external cleaners before and after school. We are also continuing to have extra, in-house cleaning throughout the day from Shelley and Tilly. Staff continue to administer hand sanitiser regularly and wear masks when walking around the school.
As usual we have lots happening this term:
Our Year 6 children are off to Kilve Camp and our Year 5 children will be going to Magdalen Farm in Somerset.
Weather permitting, we are hoping to hold our annual Sports Day at Knowle Cricket Ground on Thursday 8th July. We will be walking up straight after the morning register. The younger children will walk back for lunch and the older children will have their lunch at the ground. We will send further information nearer the time.
We will also be holding a Sponsored Walk in early July. This is a chance for year groups to help raise funds for the school, as well as competing against themselves. Look out for details in the Mailbag.
As thoughts naturally turn to the next academic year, the children will be having their Transition Day on Wednesday July 7th. This is an opportunity to meet and get to know their new teacher. We will be sending out the list of new classes that day, as well as further information.
Important COVID Update from BCC Public Health - You can read the full update HERE.
The key points (some of which are ahead of the national curve) are:
- There have been a few cases of the new variant of concern in Bristol schools. We ALL need to be extra vigilant to stop it taking off.
- Some of the cases in Bristol children have been completely asymptomatic. They were only picked up because families were doing regular Lateral Flow tests.
- Every family / household with a school aged child, and all school staff, are being asked to take Lateral Flow tests TWICE A WEEK. This applies whether or not you have been vaccinated. The test kits are free and easy to get hold of. See HERE.
- THE LIST OF POSSIBLE SYMPTOMS HAS BEEN WIDENED TO INCLUDE MILD, COLD- TYPE SYMPTOMS, SUCH AS A RUNNY NOSE OR HEADACHE, AND STOMACH-ACHE ASSOCIATED WITH A SORE THROAT / HEADACHE. ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION. DO NOT SEND CHILDREN INTO SCHOOL IF THEY ARE ILL, EVEN IF THEIR LATERAL FLOW TEST IS NEGATIVE.
- IF ANYONE IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD IS AT ALL UNWELL, OR HAS A POSITIVE LATERAL FLOW TEST, YOU NEED TO ARRANGE A PCR TEST. YOU MUST ALL ISOLATE AT HOME
WHILE YOU WAIT FOR THE RESULT (EVEN IF SOME OR ALL OF YOU HAVE NEGATIVE LATERAL FLOW TESTS).
DO NOT SEND ANY CHILDREN FROM THE HOUSEHOLD INTO SCHOOL,
- There is plenty of testing capacity on standby in Bristol, including mobile units, and PCR tests are being turned around fast, with results coming back in 24 hours.
- If someone in your household gets a positive PCR test result, everyone else in the household must isolate for 10 days AND take PCR tests. The national portal will be updated soon to facilitate this, but for now you can click on No Symptoms and type in that the test is required by the school. Even if everyone else’s tests come back negative, you all still need to isolate for the full 10 days.
- The vaccination programme in Bristol is being speeded up by reducing the interval between the jabs to 8 weeks instead of 12. Everyone over 30 is now eligible.
Calling LGBT Parents! We are looking for contributors to a very special Pride edition of our termly podcast, ‘From the Crest of the Hill’. Would you like to be interviewed about the highs and lows of life as an LGBT parent? Please drop an email to Mr Mac and Mr Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to take part.
Yr 5 & Yr 6 Camps are coming up soon - If you haven’t already paid for your child’s trip and returned the medical form, please can you do so? Please talk to us if there is any problem.
Reception to Yr 5 - We have reached that point in the school year where we teach PSHE units about ‘Relationships’ and ‘Changing Me’. Please see the letter from Mrs Willis, our Sex & Relationships Education lead, HERE, which explains what each year group will be covering.
Super Spellers - Watch the latest video from Mr Mac HERE.
Pupil Voice Assemblies - Watch three very informative Pupil Voice videos, about Autism, Dyslexia and Poetry, HERE.
New Wrap Around Care from September - Next year, the award winning Future Stars Coaching, who run their popular Holiday Clubs at Hillcrest, will be taking over our wrap around care provision. They will be offering a breakfast club and after school activities and childcare till 5.30pm. They are Ofsted registered and take Childcare Vouchers. Look out for more information, coming soon in the Mailbag.
If you currently pay using Childcare Vouchers please do not arrange any payment for September until Future Stars start taking bookings and payment. There isn’t a way to transfer payments that have been allocated to Hillcrest to Future Stars.
Matt Hill’s after school sports clubs will continue in September, alongside the new provision.
Look out for your next Mailbag on Monday 14th June.